Just Do It. What an idiotic slogan for an athletic company. If it were that easy, I'm guessing our country would have a much lower obesity rate - say 5% instead of 60%? For sure 'just doing it' is a popular idea for those making their new year resolutions every Christmas. But by January 10 or so, the old habits (never once lost) resurface. Exercise fades into the background and life resumes. I have been there many, many times.
What I know now is that it takes a commitment to the craft. In my case, Spinning and cycling are the exercise of choice. Fortunately for me, the craft of cycling is one that I am passionate about perfecting. I have tried many times in my life to find an exercise I enjoyed: running, swimming, step aerobics, kickboxing, etc. But I was lukewarm in my affection for said exercises, thus unable to commit to the learning of the craft - proper form, mental discipline, training schedule, how diet effects performance and so on.
Once I found my passion, I was driven to learning all I could about the craft. I'm still learning. It takes time. Commitment. It takes rearranging your schedule in inconvenient ways. Working while most people are relaxing. But when passion is driving that learning, it's so fulfilling.
So back to my cranky title. Just Do It is misleading. Yes, I realize it's appealing to believe that's all it takes. And, I'm sure it sells a lot of t-shirts. When you were 16 years old, you didn't 'Just Do It' when "it" came to driving a car. You studied, practiced, backed into several power line poles., etc. But you realllllyyyyy wanted that driver's liscense. So you worked really hard to perfect your skill. You were focused. That translated into success. You get where I'm going with this.
I'm suggesting Nike alters their catch phrase to 'Just do it - find your passion then work really really hard to get good at it'. But then again, I'm a first grade teacher, not an advertising exec.
About Me
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"But when passion is driving that learning, it's so fulfilling" That is soooo true! Isn't it great when we find something to get passionate about and give it our best shot? Things normally turn out pretty good. It's when we aren't passionate about something and still try to make it work, that's when we usually just go thru the motions or just get the job done. It's so much better to do it for the "love" of it!
ReplyDeletePink looks good on You ;)
ReplyDeleteI love pink!
ReplyDelete